Honesty Integrity Dedication Pride

How can I get an accident report?

On Behalf of | Aug 26, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

After an accident, it is important to gather all the proper documentation so that you can move forward with any claims. Part of the documentation you will need to secure is the official report from law enforcement.

If it was the Maryland State Police who responded to your accident, then you will need to go through the Central Records Division to get a report or through the MSP barrack that handled your specific case.

Through the Central Records Division

If you want to get an official copy of your accident report through the Central Records Division, then you will need to submit a request in writing. The agency will need specific information to find the report and get it back to you.

Make sure to include your name and address. You also want to provide the date of the incident and the location. You should also include the names of all parties involved. If you know the report number from the MSP, you should include that as well. You also must pay a $4.00 fee.

Through the MSP

You can also get a copy of the report from the MPS. You will need to wait 10 days after the accident to make your request. It will cost you $4.00 to get the report.

You must complete a Request for Motor Vehicle Accident Report form and submit it to the MSP barrack that handled your accident.

Do note the MSP will get the report from the Central Records Division. So, in either case, you will have to wait 10 days to allow for the filing of your report.

If the MSP did not handle your accident, you will need to contact the Central Records Division for the police department that handled your case.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network