Honesty Integrity Dedication Pride

Can I recoup lost wages after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Aug 25, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

If you are in a crash and it results in injuries serious enough to prevent you from going to work for an extended time, you likely want to find a way to recoup the lost wages.

When the accident is the other person’s fault, you do have the ability to go after that individual for damages. FindLaw explained you can get two types of damages.

General damages

You can ask for general damages, which will cover any loss of wages due to a long-term injury that will cause you to lose income in the future. For example, if you suffer a serious back injury and can no longer work in your field, then you could seek general damages for the loss of income due to not being able to go back to your job.

The court will look at your past earnings to determine the amount of general damages to award. Your past earnings will help estimate future potential earnings.

Special damages

Special damages will cover the income you lost already due to not being able to work. The court will use your employment information to determine the wages you have lost so far due to the accident. Your medical records will also come into play to determine when you will be returning to work.

In both situations, you need to have medical evidence of your injuries and how they impact your ability to work. You also want to provide financial records so the court can properly estimate your losses. Losing your ability to work because of the negligence of another person is frustrating, but the law is on your side to get repaid for your losses.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network